Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Watchmen

Just watched Watchmen last night. It was enjoyable, a slow pleasure, maybe too slow but still much better than the rating of 2/5 that the ST gave. I liked the development of the characters, the story, and the themes the movie projected. It's not really a superhero movie, but it's still good.

Initially though, watching it was like watching a historical relic; something that I understand was really relevant in the past but is hardly relevant now. Eventually, after the movie got through all the backstory about people I don't care about and really focused on the people the movie was focusing on, then the show started moving. I think it was a bad decision by the director not to introduce things more to the layman; I didn't know exactly how the girl and the mother could be on the same team until my friend told me after the movie.

The movie should have focused less on the backstory of the team and more on the main characters in the movie; it wasn't necessary to know that much. It's not a coincidence that things seemed to start moving when the movie properly focuses on the main characters, but by then I think 2/3 of the movie had ended. Despite its flaws, I left the cinema thinking that it was good. It reminds me of 20th Century Boys; similar slow pace and extensive development of characters, leaves you looking forward to the proper meal (2nd part), but too bad I think there's no 2nd part for Watchmen.

No comments: